This weeks blog post is brought to you by Adele Baca, the owner of California Dental Certifications. Here she gives you a straight forward and easy to follow breakdown of how to get your RDA license.
From Dental Assisting to Dental Laboratory, to Dental CAD/CAM Technician, we have a course for you. CDC works with dental professionals, both new to the United States, as well as California.

Steps to RDA

Simple steps to help you through the RDA application process.

Step 1

Required Certifications for RDA application:

  • Radiation Certification (X-ray Certification)
  • Coronal Polish Certification
  • Sealant
  • Valid CPR
  • California Practice Act
  • 8 HOUR Infection Control

These Certifications have to be from California. Certifications or License from other States will not be accepted and are not valid. CPR can be from any state.


Step 2

  • Download the RDA application (link below)  then choose your applications:
    1)  #1 & #3 if you are applying as 15 months WORK EXPERIENCE. Use this if you came through our CDC 1 month Assisting Course & you have worked. OR You have worked 15 months and done your certifications one at a time.
    2)  #1 & #2 if you went to a 9 MONTHS BOARD APPROVED SCHOOL. Not CDC.
    3)  #1 & #4 if you went to a school longer than 1 month but shorter than 9 months but A NON-APPROVED (Dental Board of California) DENTAL ASSISTING PROGRAM, and work experience.
  • There is an application fee to be added.
  • Your LIVESCAN page is now included in the #1 application for the RDA.
  • Previous fingerprinting from the green cards or any other source are not valid.  The state requires new fingerprinting on this form only.
  • Price will vary, so ask.
  • Some are by appointment only and some are walk-in, so ask.

Step 3

  • Send in the application.
  • Make sure to make copies of everything you send & send certified!


Step 4

  • The Dental Board will contact you by mail when your application has been accepted. This may take a while. After acceptance, you will have 1 test to take.  The Dental Board will notify you by mail where and when.
  • WRITTEN-The Dental Board will notify you of your location options for testing. The test will be given on a computer and you will know if you passed or failed immediately.

Step 5

  • After you have sent in your application to the Dental Board, and while you are waiting for your acceptance letter to take your written, you will need to study.


Step 6

Once you have been notified by the Dental Board you have passed the written test, you will be sent your RDA card.

25 CEU’s will not be due for the first 2 years.


If you have any questions about getting certifications to work as a DA, RDA, or as a Dental CAD/CAM Technician call Adele at (858) 722-8504 or contact them here.

CDC works with military spouses through the MyCAA Grant Program. The Military Spouse Career Advancement (MYCAA) Initiative provides up to $4,000 if you are a military spouse E5 and under. In addition, CDC works with the WIOA Grant, so if you’re completely unemployed we can see if you qualify for fully paid certification!!

Once you get all your certifications to make sure you sign up with Direct Dental Staffing to start working right away!